Index > General Discussion > Favorite Novel and/or Jane Austen Novel?

Favorite Novel and/or Jane Austen Novel?

Author Post
ManfredofOtranto Hello!

While the server is down I thought I'd ask everyone what their favorite novel is in general and in regards to Jane Austen.

My favorite Jane Austen novel is _Persuasion_, because I like how quiet it is. My favorite novel of all time, however, is _Jane Eyre_ by Charlotte Bronte. It has spoken to me since the age of sixteen in ways that even the very brilliant Miss Austen has not.

What about you guys?
Posted 1 year ago
laurella My favourite Jane Austen novel is Pride and Prejudice, though Sense and Sensibility is a close second :)

My favourite novel in general... hmmm that's hard. I'd say Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.
Posted 1 year ago
usernamechosen Pride and Prejudice foreverrrr.

Would you guys care if I made a Darcy character? LOL
Posted 1 year ago
moonage My first Jane Austen novel was Persuasion and I cried at the end because I am a sap.

I am currently re-reading Pride and Prejudice and I am laughing out loud on the train, getting some funny looks from other commuters! If you make a Darcy character, please introduce yourself to Miss Copperfield. :)
Posted 1 year ago
archaeolojess Northanger Abbey!
Posted 1 year ago
Flore Definitely Pride and Prejudice! But I also quite like Persuasion.
Posted 1 year ago
MyLadyTeri I'm going to have to go with Pride and Prejudice for favorite Austen novel.

Favorite non-Austen.... Probably The Hobbit by Tolkien.
Posted 1 year ago
Dantes I haven't actually read any Austen, but one of my favourite novels is set around the same time period: The Count of Monte Cristo. I actually read the book while I was watching the Gankutsuou anime, and knowing from the foreword that R.L. Stevenson was originally planning on starting the book in Rome (which is effectively where the anime starts) made the experience really interesting! Being able to picture the anime characters while reading the book was also handy for keeping everyone straight in my head (except book!Albert has a moustache, which always made me chuckle)
Posted 1 year ago
Xiphias Northanger Abbey is hilarious.
Posted 1 year ago
Amy Stallings Northanger Abbey, though the second Austen novel I read (after P&P) became an instant and an enduring favorite. It's amazing how integral it has been to my life from adolescence into adulthood. If any of you are members of JASNA (the Jane Austen Society of North America) you may already know just how obsessed I am--you only need to consult the regional news page of the summer newsletter to see!

My list of literary favorites is so long I'm afraid that it risks being obnoxious! I love Jane Eyre, and the Broadway musical version from 2000/2001 is extraordinary as well. Other staples include (but are not limited to) The Scarlet Pimpernel (which kicked off my interest in the French Revolution), Gaskell's North & South, The Chronicles of Barsetshire, I Capture the Castle, Jamaica Inn, Three Men in a Boat, and Cyrano de Bergerac. I'm also a great fan of Josephine Tey mysteries, in particular The Daughter of Time.

Modern books and series--Jasper Fforde's The Eyre Affair and many of its sequels, Connie Willis's To Say Nothing of the Dog and her two recent volumes on the bombing of London during WWII: Blackout and All Clear. Those novels are the closest thing to a time machine I have ever experienced. If you're interested in the London Blitz and don't mind a little time-travel technobabble, find them and read them as soon as you can. They are breathtaking and heartbreaking and wonderful.
Posted 1 year ago
archaeolojess I'm a theater junky, and one of my all time favorite soundtracks is Jane Eyre. So underrated, but a truly wonderful score and show.
Posted 1 year ago
Flore I too love Cyrano! I was 10 when my mum let me watch the movie (a black and white version with Daniel Sorano as Cyrano). I fell in love right away!

Oh, and I love Three men in a boat as well.
Posted 1 year ago
ashura Oh Amy, someone else who uses Connie Willis as a substitute for the time machine I never seem to get for Christmas! (I do keep asking. *g*) Doomsday Book is actually my favourite (but I'm a medievalist after all) -- I had some trouble with Blackout/All Clear because they're a frustrating read, but at the end I found myself attached to them. Like literary Stockholm Syndrome, really; it turns out I'd spent so much time with the characters that I missed them as if they were people, once the book was finished.

(Seriously though--the characters do a thing, then think about how they did the thing, then tell someone else about doing the thing...it's repetitive, but Willis is one of those writers who's doing incredibly skillful things, even if you don't realise or entirely enjoy it at the time.)

Favourite Austen: Pride and Prejudice, then Northanger Abbey. Favourite other book--nope, can't do it. It'd be like choosing a favourite brain cell. :p
Posted 1 year ago