Index > Known Bugs > Deaf Ears

Deaf Ears

Author Post
xMayberry Many players, upon login, are experiencing the inability to hear anyone speak outside of shouting or whisper, which I know you are aware of, but I just walked from the parlor (where I was holding conversation) to apple tree ln and in that time I now can't hear anything but shouts and private conversations, neither can the person I'm with.

Just letting you guys know that the deaf ear bug can overtake in the middle gameplay as well
Posted 11 months ago
moonage Miss Copperfield started deaf, then could hear after the server restart at approx. 9:30 EST tonight, then briefly logged off and was deaf when she logged on again.
Posted 11 months ago
Doug A server reboot does resolve the deaf ear issue and we are working on a resolution. Thank you all for bearing with us.
Posted 11 months ago
Xiphias What I've noticed is that the first login with a character after a server reboot works correctly, but second and subsequent logins lead to deafness. However, it's by character, not account: another character on the same account has the same of working initially, but not after second and further ones. I am unable to use private messages, upon second and further login, as well.
Posted 11 months ago
Xiphias What I've noticed is that the first login with a character after a server reboot works correctly, but second and subsequent logins lead to deafness. However, it's by character, not account: another character on the same account has the same of working initially, but not after second and further ones. I am unable to use private messages, upon second and further login, as well.
Posted 11 months ago
Doug While we have not seen your experience with everyone the fact that it does happen, and not always the same way with others, or with our accounts, makes this a difficult problem to resolve. We do have new code we will be testing but I cannot give an update as to when this issue will be permanently resolved.
Posted 11 months ago
Dantes Today I noticed a subtle new detail while a group of us gathered in the parlour. It seems there are cases where:
— A character cannot hear anybody else's /say.
— A character's /say may be audible to some people, but not others.

For example, I was able to hear Miss Copperfield /say, and she was able to hear my /say, but I think there was a case where she could hear another character's /say and I couldn't.

In addition, it seems it may be a malady that can strike at any time, not just on login. I started out being able to hear everybody just fine, but later on it's possible I may have contracted selective deafness. This might be due to some of the new arrivals not being audible to me, for whatever reason, rather than me actually being "deaf" indiscriminately.

In any case, everybody ended up having to /shout for the whole day, so we basically reverted to open-world chat by default.
Posted 11 months ago
Doug It is a tough one to resolve. Not being consistent and not happening to all or happening to just a few is difficult to reproduce and to fix.
Posted 11 months ago
Dantes Next time it happens, I'll try to isolate a test group and methodically analyse who can hear what.
Posted 11 months ago
sophiaunderwood A little testing of deaf ear between myself and Miss Honeyfield yesterday revealed that both /say and /whisper are inaudible, but /private channels work! Good news for anyone in one-on-one interactions, if you don't want everyone in-game to see.

It occurred to me around the same time, it might be useful to separate the /shout channel from a new /world channel. /world would be most useful for mods making announcements, or maybe OOC notes. But in rp, no matter how loudly a character raised their voice, you wouldn't be able to hear them clear across town. So it may be worthwhile at some point to restrict the radius of shouts. E.g. two gentlemen arguing in Mrs. Hatch's parlor could be heard throughout her house, but not by the neighbors.
Posted 11 months ago
Dantes The first day of Proximity Chat, messages were getting cut off after a colon, so ":-)" were disappearing. I think it got fixed at one point, but I noticed it was still happening yesterday.
Posted 11 months ago
Doug We currently do not have emotes, :), in game so we will definitely be looking into this.
Posted 11 months ago