Index > The Post Office > (( Dinner Party Plans ))

(( Dinner Party Plans ))

Author Post
sophiaunderwood (( So who would want to do an in-client dinner party this Sunday the 17th? About the same time as we did the ball last weekend, 3pm EST.

A few notes on how dinner parties at the time worked, and how I picture that translating to the game client:

There would naturally be a seating chart drawn up by the host/ess, in our case "Lord and Lady Fillintheblank" in advance. To that end, please let me know which character you plan to bring no later than noon on Saturday the 16th. I'll arrange the seating chart and post it here on Saturday afternoon so you know who you'll be sitting with. We may also need to take some time in client during the event to talk/coordinate OOC and get everybody in position at the table.

Guests would be seated according to precedence. The highest ranking women would be next to the host Lord F at the head of the table; the highest ranking men would be next to Lady F at the other end of the table. And so pairs of men and women would alternate from either end to the center of the table. Here is an example (periods for spacing):

..................Lord Fillintheblank

Lady Bolsover............................Lady Honoria
(marchioness)...........................(daughter of a marquess)

Sir George................................Mr. Gordon
(baronet).................................(son of a baronet)

Mrs. Elmsworth.........................Mrs. Stanton
(wife of esquire).......................(widow of gentleman)

Mr. Creasey..............................Mr. Turner
(clergyman).............................(barrister)

Miss Prince..............................Mrs. Creasey
(daughter of gentleman)..........(wife of clergyman)

Mr. Stanton.............................Mr. Elmsworth
(gentleman)............................(esquire)

Lady Aldridge.........................Miss Mabry
(wife of baronet)....................(daughter of viscount)

Lord Marchmont....................Lord Donegal
(earl)....................................(marquess)

..................Lady Fillintheblank

Dinner conversation was quite structured. One did not shout across the table. Rather, you would speak only to those you were seated immediately next to, or sometimes to the person you were directly across from.

Thus, as we can easily suppose Lord and Lady F would introduce dining partners to each other, this is a really great way for all our characters to be forced into new acquaintances and get to know people you might not otherwise see much of in client.

So if you wish to join, just drop a note on this thread with what character you are bringing! I'll share more dinner party resources closer to the event. ))
Posted 1 month ago
kendrafortune ((Sounds great! I'd bring Lady Kendra Devereux (she's still in-game as Fortune but she's the widow of Lord Devereux.) Hadn't exactly established what rank Lord Devereux was before he shuffled off this mortal coil, i'm a bit vague about how the titles etc work, so any advice on this gladly received. I'd imagine he wasn't that lofty because he wouldn't have married Kendra otherwise...))
Posted 1 month ago
TrueWizard1507 ((Ooh a dinner party? I'd love to attend please. I'd bring Miss Clara MacTavish, but I am not sure what title/rank she'd carry with her. She is the daughter of the private secretary for the Mayor of Bath. Relatively influential, but untitled nonetheless. I'll leave you to decide what she is known as in the brackets lol. It doesn't really matter to me :) ))
Posted 1 month ago
sophiaunderwood (( Excellent!

Kendra -- this is my favorite in-depth resource for the messy world of titles and addresses. Based on what little I know of the Fortunes and Devereuxs, it sounds like he is most likely a baron?

http://laura.chinet.com/html/titles12.html

MacTavish -- ooooh, private secretary. Nice! I don't think we have ever had that particular rank before and I actually had to look it up to double check where the MacTavishes might fall.

This is my source for a complete list of precedence: https://www.kristenkoster.com/a-primer-on-regency-peerage-and-precedence/
(Side note: Kristen Koster's site is FULL of awesome primers like this.)

Though the private secretary for the mayor is not explicitly listed, I would imagine a family with that level of political clout would be afforded the courtesy of being seated near knights and baronets - kind of that upper gentry level. ))
Posted 1 month ago
TrueWizard1507 ((I didn’t expect them to be quite that high in rank, but that’s fine with me!))
Posted 1 month ago
kendrafortune ((Ah great, thanks! A baron will do nicely. :-) ))
Posted 1 month ago
HeHa ((I think the earliest I could play would put me an hour late, so I'll have to miss this one. It sounds like fun! The primer on precedence is awesome! Miss Miriam Hampton is the youngest daughter of a baronet.))
Posted 1 month ago
TrueWizard1507 ((Annoyingly, I am going to have to withdraw myself from the dinner party. My family are now planning on going out tomorrow night at 7 and I won't be back in time to attend. There's no way of explaining to my parents why I want to stay at home, it would be too awkward... lol fml))
Posted 1 month ago
TrueWizard1507 ((Actually, scrap that, sorry. I think I can come now. I’ll let you know for definite tomorrow ))
Posted 1 month ago
sophiaunderwood (( Tentative seating chart for the dinner party today at 3pm. There may be some last minute changes...

..........................Lord Fillintheblank
Lady Devereux....................................Miss MacTavish
Mr. Mabry...........................................Mr. Finch
Miss Prince..........................................Miss Byrne
Lord Marchmont..................................Lord Hutchinson
..........................Lady Fillintheblank ))
Posted 1 month ago