Index > The Post Office > To Jamie, from his sister Clara

To Jamie, from his sister Clara

Author Post
TrueWizard1507 Jamie,

I do not want to pester you about things you do not wish to discuss, but would you be so kind as to explain what is making you act so strangely? You have not been yourself since the hunting trip on Sunday, and it seems as though you have been trying to avoid me altogether. You suddenly left the house on Monday with a bottle, and did not return until later that evening, clearly sober but empty-handed. If you are trying to worry me, it is certainly working.

Your increasingly concerned sister,
Clara
Posted 1 month ago
TrueWizard1507 Clara,

While the hunting trip on Sunday remained relatively uneventful, apart from some excellent shots, I can assure you that there is no need to be concerned. I'll apologise about my behaviour on Monday now, in hindsight it was rude of me to leave so suddenly. The bottle of brandy was an overdue gift, a promise that was yet to be fulfilled. In regards to my late return that evening, I travelled to the library in Tyrehampton to read - someone had mentioned to me that there was a particularly good history book there, and it seemed like the perfect opportunity.

I will also acknowledge that I have not been avoiding you, I have simply been craving some peace and quiet for the last few days. It is a rare thing to come by, with two younger sisters in the house and a town increasing in residents with each waking day.

Your ever-caring brother,
Jamie
Posted 1 month ago
TrueWizard1507 Dearest Clara,

While I did not want to tell you by letter, I have something I wish to admit to you. I know you have felt as though I have been acting strangely since the hunting trip, and although I assured you that nothing important had happened, I was being dishonest. I apologise in advance about my dishonesty, it was a foolish thing to do. I will now explain myself.

During the hunting trip, I found myself alone with Lady Kendra Fortune. I will not divulge the details, but it has resulted in a close relationship between the two of us. I can assure you that I did not intend on feeling this way, but I cannot suppress my feelings. Can it be wrong to desire someone so much as I do her? I must be honest to myself, to you, and to her.

I will tell you now that I find Kendra to be a most rare woman, and one I have grown very fond of lately. She may be flirtatious and confident at times, but that is precisely what I like about her - she is not afraid to speak her mind. You probably think I am just being foolish, trying to tie myself to a woman twice-widowed and more-often-than-not followed by scandal, but in truth I do not care about her past actions.

I would never wish to subject you to scandal, but I am rather worried I have. The other members of our hunting party, Mr Driscoll and Mr Green in particular, are not being as discreet about their gossiping as I had hoped they would. This is an oversight on my behalf and I only pray that it does not ruin your time in Tyrehampton. I would be devastated if you felt you had to return to Bath because of my poor behaviour in public.

I hope you will forgive me, dear sister.

Jamie
Posted 1 month ago
TrueWizard1507 Dear Jamie,

I will say that I am a little surprised at this news, but glad that you have told me nonetheless. I had suspected that you were keeping something from me, and I now know that I was correct.

I am touched that you wish to withhold your feelings for Kendra for my sake. You are a most wonderful brother to me, but you must know that I would never wish for you to be unhappy. Your behaviour towards her should not be hindered for my sake, I am perfectly capable of weathering any remarks if it leads to your happiness.

I am only concerned about your choice of lady. I will say that Kendra is a most lovely woman, but are you sure about this? You must be aware of the rumour about her, the one where she was suspected to have shot her first husband? Not to mention her ex-stepson following her to Tyrehampton to accuse her of murdering his father, her second husband? I do not wish to hold her past indiscretions against her, but at some point you must truly think about this to yourself. If you are happy moving forward, then so am I.

I don't want to see you get hurt, that is all.

Clara
Posted 1 month ago
TrueWizard1507 Dear Jamie,

How was your journey? It is a shame I didn't get to see you before you left, but I hope it wasn't too cold for you. The weather is surprisingly harsh this year.

The reason I am writing is because I have spoken to Kendra. I know that your attachment is none of my business, but it was too awkward for me to sit in the same room as her without the topic being mentioned once. I cannot help but be very concerned about this, more so than you appear to be.

I felt it necessary to tell her about Harriet. I think that Kendra thought I was being unnecessarily rude or harsh in my manner of speaking to her, but I could not sit and tell her that I have no concerns about this. I did not tell Kendra everything, only the basics. I understand that you will be angry with me for telling her, as it was your secret to share, but it was necessary in my eyes to tell her the truth when you couldn't. I have watched you suffer once before in the name of love, and I will be damned if I have to watch you suffer again. I don't think you would be able to cope again with a broken heart.

I hope you have a very enjoyable time in Scotland, and I will see you in 8 days.

Your loving sister,
Clara
Posted 1 month ago