Index > The Post Office > A letter to Jamie, from Kendra

A letter to Jamie, from Kendra

Author Post
kendrafortune Dear Jamie,

Imagine my delight to find a bottle of fine French brandy on my doorstep! Then imagine my disappointment that it was not accompanied by you. Few have ever accused me of being too subtle, but in case you misinterpreted my meaning before, you are most welcome to come and call on me at home, any time, day or night. It might be pleasant to spend some time in each other's company where we do not both end up covered in mud and dust.

Yours,
Kendra

PS. Wear your kilt.

Posted 1 month ago
TrueWizard1507 Dear Kendra,

I am glad you got the brandy. I too am disappointed I could not accompany it, but by the sound of it, there was someone else in the house. While I am sure nothing would have happened apart from awkward conversation and subtle glances at each other, I'd hate to imagine how improper it would look for a young, handsome, albeit modest Scottish man in a kilt to turn up at your doorstep with a full bottle of strong alcohol.

I can assure you that my kilt is quickly becoming a personal favourite of mine too, so you will be fortunate to see it around a lot more. I daresay you enjoy the sight of my knees more that I do.

I could also never accuse you of being too subtle, your invitation at the end of our last meeting was certainly received well enough. Perhaps a visit is in order soon? During daytime, of course! I have something I want to ask you - it will be better to ask in person, rather than in writing.

Yours,
Jamie

PS. Perhaps I'll bring some Scotch next time too? I think it is quickly becoming one of your favourites.
Posted 1 month ago

Certainly I am becoming most fond of all things Scottish. I have a lasting affection for your knees.

I will of course defer to your judgement about proper behaviour. It is not my area of expertise! I long for a day where a lady can entertain a young, handsome, kilt-wearing gentleman at her home without raising any eyebrows, but sadly that day is not yet here.

At least I have fine French brandy to console me.

I look forwards to our next meeting. Today I have an engagement elsewhere but I shall be resuming my normal visits to Mrs Hatch's from Friday.

Yours,
Kendra
Posted 1 month ago

Your affection for my knees is certainly flattering, I only hope you don’t grow to like them more than the person they’re attached to.

Proper behaviour in public is very important to me, because I have younger siblings living locally. A mark against my name is a mark against theirs. I only wish for their time in Tyrehampton to be enjoyable, without the shadow of scandal hanging over them - no matter how bonny the lady involved is. They look up to me, and I would hate for them to see me behave inappropriately out of doors. When alone however, I am free to act as I please - let this be of some consolation to you. Once the door is closed, for example, I’m all yours.

We could perhaps meet on Sunday, if that is agreeable to you? I am due to attend the Gardiner wedding and reception at the Estate afterwards, and have been somewhat proudly told of your lack of invitation. I will certainly miss your presence though, I am only attending out of respect for the bride’s family - certainly not for Devereux’s sake.

Clara and Eliza are due to travel to Bath that day as well, taking our only maid with them, leaving the house completely empty. Need I say more? I would certainly like to see you again before I leave for Scotland on the 11th, the day after the Winter Ball. I am certain I shall miss your company while I am there.

Yours,
Jamie
Posted 1 month ago

Your concern for your sisters does you credit. I will endeavour to behave myself, at least in public. In private, however, I can make no promises.

Until Sunday.

Yours,
Kendra
Posted 1 month ago

Thank you. I can hardly wait.

Yours,
Jamie
Posted 1 month ago

I am afraid there is one small problem which we have overlooked, and that is the matter of Mr Driscoll and Mr Green both having seen us together. Miss Hampton tells me they were gossiping about us in terms of great amusement. Perhaps you should speak with Clara before she finds out from other sources - or at least ensure that the gentlemen in question can be relied upon to be discreet.

Yours,
Kendra
Posted 1 month ago

This is certainly a most alarming revelation, and one I should not have been foolish enough to overlook. I had completely forgotten about the other members of our party that witnessed our behaviour that day, and fear I will not see them in time to prevent them from saying anything incriminating. While I did not wish to tell Clara yet about anything between us, I must tell her before she hears it elsewhere. I am at least relieved that she is to be out of town for the next week or so, and I only hope that Green and Driscoll have the sense to remain quiet about this.

I hope this does not affect anything between us, and if it is still agreeable, I am still looking forwards to Sunday. I will not be upset if you choose to change your mind about your visit, however.

Yours,
Jamie
Posted 1 month ago

For me it affects nothing and my mind is not changed. I am accustomed to being the subject of gossip and I have learned only to care for the opinions of those who care for me in return. But I would hate to put you in a difficult situation with your sisters. Daniel has been asking questions also. I am saying nothing.

Yours,
Kendra
Posted 1 month ago

I have spoken to Clara about us, and she is surprisingly calm about it. As of yet, nothing has happened between us apart from a few stolen kisses in a hydrangea bush.

I did not wish to say this so soon, but I think we both need to decide what we want to come of this. I will say that in the short time I've known you, I have found you to be a most unique woman - one that I long to be near to with every moment of every day. I crave your presence, more than any woman I have ever known before. I need to know whether this is just a dalliance for you, or whether you want something to come of this. If this is just casual for you, then the need for secrecy is paramount. If, however, you wish to see what happens, then I see no harm in telling your siblings.

I only wished for discretion before my sisters were aware. It is different now that I have told them.

Yours,
Jamie
Posted 1 month ago

Your words warm my heart, which is a surprise to me as I did not believe myself to have one.

Jamie, I wish I knew what I wanted. It is fair to say that at the start I had only a flirtation in mind. Now I only know that a future without you in it seems bleak indeed.

I have a somewhat chequered past. I imagine you have heard all the rumours, but there are few episodes in my history that are not tainted with a little shame. I can be fickle, vain and sometimes cruel. We do not know each other so very well yet. You may change your opinions of me once you know me better.

One thing I am certain of - I do wish to know you better.

Yours,
Kendra
Posted 1 month ago

I can safely say that future without your presence is dull for me too. It makes me so happy to read that we both desire something to form between us - I was worried, more than I'd care to admit, that you simply wanted a dalliance and nothing more.

You are of course correct when you say we both know so little about each other. Can I suggest that we use your visit on Sunday to get to know one another better? I am certain that nothing you could say would put me off, but it seems like too good an opportunity to miss. We'll tell each other about ourselves and see what happens, aye?

And based on the knowledge that you wish to know me better, I see no harm in telling Daniel. Goodness knows he'd find out anyway.

Yours,
Jamie

PS. I'll wear my kilt
Posted 1 month ago

I hope this letter finds you well and that you have safely arrived in Scotland.

In your absence I have been keeping myself busy by reading self-improving literature. It has been very educational.

I very much enjoyed myself on Sunday at the ball. I think I may have overdone the whisky though. I can barely remember some of the silly things I may have said and done. I think perhaps you ought to discount most of what I said as nonsense brought on by too much strong drink.

Jamie - I had a rather awkward conversation with Clara. I do not think she is happy about what has happened between us. She has been perfectly pleasant and polite, but I know she is concerned. We spoke for rather a long time. If there is anything you need to tell me, you know I will not judge. How can I, when you already know all of my secrets?

Yours,

Kendra
Posted 1 month ago

I have arrived safely in Scotland, after a rather long and cold journey. I am currently sat in front of the fire, with a bannock and glass of whiskey, trying to warm my toes. They are still a little sore after Sunday night, thanks to your exceptional dancing - I cannot help but laugh when I think of it. Leaving early on Monday morning was a sensible idea, even though I had a stinking headache and didn't appreciate it at the time. It probably wasn't such a good idea to drink so much the night before.

The ball was great fun, or at least the parts I can remember were. My memory is a little patchy at the moment - I have some choice words for the person who spiked the punch. With the addition of whiskey as well, I am not surprised at the state we were in by the end of the evening. I am afraid I cannot recollect much of what you said to me, which I suppose doesn't matter now as you seem certain that is was only drunken ramblings. I hope I didn't say anything untoward, I have been known to behave rather badly when stone-drunk.

Clara's concern is understandable, I suppose. There was something that happened a few years ago now, in relation to the married woman I mentioned during that particular conversation. At the time, I could not bring myself to tell you. The topic had been upsetting for some time, and even now it is hard to think of. However, I feel it is time I made you aware. If you could tell me what Clara has told you, then it would be easier for me to fill in the gaps. I gather she probably hasn't told you everything, only enough of the key details to prove a point. My sister is exceptionally good at doing that.

Self-improving literature does sound rather ominous. I hope it is the Bible, Kendra, and not something ridiculously inappropriate like 'Fanny Hill'. Although perhaps those two books should not be mentioned in the same sentence together.

Try not to have too much fun without me.

Yours,
Jamie
Posted 1 month ago

You jest, of course, about my reading the Bible. You know I revel in sinfulness, as Mrs Gardiner so astutely put it.

How very fortuitous that both of us have such patchy memories of the night in question. It means we can both forget whatever foolishness we expressed while we were in our cups.

I have had several painful conversations with your sister. I fear I am unable to speak to her without saying something to cause her embarrassment or anxiety on your behalf. She did tell me that you were attached to a lady a few years ago, when you were quite young, but that she married another man. Was this the same married woman you told me of that day at your home? You made it sound like a joke, a bawdy story to laugh at! If that is so very far from the truth then I feel terrible for laughing. I am sorry for it.

I am having very little fun without you. Flora has been chasing the local boys with mistletoe. I am tempted to take a leaf from her book but I am sure Mrs Hatch would not approve of it. Servants have all the fun!

Yours sincerely,
Kendra
Posted 1 month ago