Index > The Post Office > To Miss Jayne Poldark, from Clara McTavish

To Miss Jayne Poldark, from Clara McTavish

Author Post
TrueWizard1507 Jayne, I mush enquire as to how you have been? It has been such a long time since we were last together!

I don't believe I have ever spoken in depth to you about my family, but as you know, I have an older brother called Jamie. He recently travelled back to Scotland, to our hometown of Inverness, to visit some old friends. I can now confirm that he intends to visit Eliza and myself in the summer! I cannot tell you how pleased I am to hear of this news! My brother and I are such close friends, and I am very excited to introduce you to him. Speaking of which, I must also introduce you to my sister as well. Once she has returned from Bath we should go for a picnic on the village green. The weather is most lovely this time of year.

I must conclude now, but I fully intend to hear more about this new acquaintance of yours. Unfortunately, I lost your last letter so cannot recollect the Gentleman's name.

Your dear friend,

Clara
Posted 3 months ago
appl3bl0ss0m Dear Clara,

I quite agree that it has been long. We must get together soon. I would love to meet your family. We shall have to figure out a good time and date when they return.

You have shared your family so I shall share mine. My parents live in a small town in the New World. I have come from across the sea to stay with my aunt and uncle. I must say however that I do love the countryside over here so I believe I shall stay. It is much more diverting for me here and it will give me a chance to improve what little talent I have for the pianoforte, painting, and dancing. My two sisters are married and live in near my parents. I do miss them so. Perhaps they will visit me here one day when I have my own home. Until then, I will be staying with Mrs. Hatch.

On another note, the gentleman I met the other day was very kind and handsome. His name is Sir Elliot Dartington. We had a wonderful discussion about the day and books. We took a carriage ride to the library. It was quite pleasant. He was a very good driver compared to myself. I am afraid I am not very good at controlling the carriage which results in my driving all over the road. I sent him a letter to encourage our new acquaintance. I do hope it hasn't scared him away. He was searching for a house at the time.

I must go to sleep for it is very late and I have a busy day tomorrow. Good night, sweet Clara. I hope to see you soon.

Your dear friend,
Jayne
Posted 3 months ago
TrueWizard1507 Dearest Jayne,

It seems I have also had the pleasure to make the acquaintance of Sir Elliot, just this yesterday evening. He does definitely seem like an amiable young man. Sir Elliot and I, along with three other ladies, took a tour of the Estate gardens and danced a few rounds in the ballroom. It was most fun! I mentioned to my new friends yesterday that my brother's arrival would be perfect opportunity to throw a ball there - I haven't been to one yet and I recently bought a new ballgown that I've been dying to try out. You know you are most whole-heartedly invited once the date is confirmed. I think you may find my brother most pleasing.

I must admit, I am not familiar with the New World. I read a column in a newspaper about it once, and I couldn't quite believe an entire continent had been found! It seems so far away. Compared to the New World, Inverness seems like a nearby town. But I do not wish to make you feel alone, you know what's mine is yours. If you ever need anything you know you can ask me, no matter how big or small the matter is.

I beg you keep your reserve when around Sir Elliot. He is charming, for sure, but I heard a most wild rumour from one of my new acquaintances just earlier. I of course, do not wish to alarm you with this news. I take all rumours with a grain of salt, but still feel I should make you aware. However, please do not let your manner towards him change. I should feel most guilty if I warn you against him and the wild rumour turns out to be false. You know I have your best interests at heart here.

I shall write to you again soon.

Your dear friend,

Clara
Posted 3 months ago
appl3bl0ss0m Dearest Clara,

What a delightful idea to hold a ball. I have not been able to use my ball gown yet but I would love the chance.

Thank you for your kind offer to look out for me while I am here. I must admit I do miss my family greatly and letters do not make up for their presence and affection. I welcome our blossoming friendship with open arms. I would also like to reciprocate your offer. I do not have much but if there is anything I can do for you, please ask.

Your statement about Sir Elliot is a bit surprising. He was so polite when I met him. I do not want to know the details unless it is dangerous but I will be more cautious until I can fully determine his character. Thank you for the warning.

I wish I had more time to write. I am preparing to go out for the day. I shall write soon.

With affectionate friendship,
Jayne
Posted 3 months ago
TrueWizard1507 My dear Jayne,

Thank you for listening to my warning in my previous letter, I will not divulge the true nature of the rumour if you do not wish me to. However I will clarify that it was only made aware to me through my mother, who at times can be a terrible gossip. The gentleman in question, Sir Elliot, I know is from Devonshire. My own cousins reside near Torquay in the county. They only mentioned the rumour in passing, as they knew both he and I were currently residing in the same village. I will now say no more on the subject unless I hear more.

But anyway, I will gladly express that the arrival of your letters adds a unique joy to my day that I have rarely felt before. I am so glad this friendship came to happen, for I have never had a friend as close as you, aside from my sister - who you are yet to meet.

I hope that your outing is enjoyable, and will write again later.

Yours,

Clara
Posted 3 months ago
TrueWizard1507 Oh Jayne,

I have just received such wonderful news! You may recollect in a previous letter that my brother was planning on joining Eliza and I in the summer, on his way back from Scotland? Well, I have just received a letter from him telling us to prepare a room because he will be with us by the end of the month. At last, you can finally meet him!

((Written later in the day))

My friend, I cannot wait to see you again. I was sat in Mrs. Hatch's parlour earlier, keeping her company, and I thought I saw you in the corner of my eye. I felt myself get excited, but when I left the room to greet you, it was somebody else. The young lady was quite startled by my sudden appearance.

We must see each other again soon.

Your dear friend,

Clara
Posted 3 months ago

I am so pleased to hear your news. I am looking forward to meeting him. [[You'll have to let me know the date and time because I am on EST. I think I am about 5 hours behind you]]. I can tell that you are so full of delight and anticipation for your brother's arrival.

I do miss you. We must figure out a time to meet and we can prepare for a ball in your brother's honor. What fun that would be. I would like to ask you something that I have been considering. How would you feel if we became adopted sisters? I would love to have family here as I think it would help alleviate my longing for home and my family. I do so hope you will accept.

I love getting letters from you. I love writing them as well. They are a unique sort of delightful diversion. I hope to hear from you soon, Clara dear. Consider carefully what I have asked. I know it is a big thing that I am asking.

With affection,
Jayne
Posted 3 months ago
appl3bl0ss0m Clara,

I have a house!!!! I was just so excited. I wanted to tell you. Please come visit me. I live at 12 Magpie Lane in Oakston.

With Love,
Jayne
Posted 3 months ago
TrueWizard1507 Jayne,

I cannot express enough how lovely it was to see you again. Such friendship in this case is unheard of, it blossoms between us so beautifully.

I have written to my family about the matter of you becoming my sister. If I was able to agree myself, I absolutely would. But as you know, the decision lies with my parents. Do not fret, however, because I can proudly say that they have agreed! They have one condition, however - they would like to meet you in person beforehand. While their meeting you would not change their decision, they would like me to introduce you to them as my friend first, and sister later. Why they have requested this, I do not know - but I am not going to contest it.

I am due to be travelling back to Bath to see my family in a month or so, you must come with me so we can get the adoption finalised. I feel it is too good an opportunity to miss. My sister will be travelling up with us as well, when the time comes.

I must check that you have written to your parents as well? They may be far away but they are still your parents, and I would hate for them to disapprove. Unless, of course, you have avoided writing to them for that exact reason?

I look forward to seeing you soon.

You sister,

Clara
Posted 3 months ago

You have no idea how delighted I am to see that your family have agreed. I would be happy to comply with their request. I would rather your family know my character first before they make such a decision.

As to your question, I have of course informed my family. They were very pleased to hear that I have not only found a dear friend but I may also gain a family that can look after me (if your family agreed). My parents are sad that I have decided to stay in England but they fully support my decision, in the hopes that I will find joy in a new beginning. My aunt and uncle that live here cannot afford to be responsible for my well being as my uncle is in the militia and they are never in one place long. I was only visiting them. I have also promised my family that I would visit them as often I could. I do miss them so; however, they understand that I could not stay in America.

I want you to know my reasoning for leaving America. There was a young man who I thought would propose to me but he rushed away and became engaged with a young lady that has been born into a position of wealth and status. I was absolutely broken-hearted and felt that I could not remain where there was potential for us to cross paths. I assure you there was nothing scandalous on my side other than a man who cared more about money and status than that of love. I just wanted you and your family know my past, as I value honesty and kindness to the highest degree.

I look forward to soon calling you my sister.

With affection,
Jayne
Posted 3 months ago
TrueWizard1507 Dear Jayne

I hope you'll forgive me for my late reply. I have been exceptionally busy these last few days, but have finally found the time to write to my dear friend.

I am very pleased that you parents are aware of our new decision. While I knew it was none of my business at the time, it is still good to know that they approve.

I will admit, that it saddens me to hear of your reason for staying in England. I had always guessed that you simply liked the country more than the New World, so it is a little surprising. I hope you know that no matter what you do, I could never think ill of you.

I must tell you that I met a most lovely gentleman the other day while in Mrs. Hatch's parlour. The gentleman's name was Thomas Blakemoor, and I discovered that he is a member of His Majesty's Royal Navy. He asked about my education, and enquired about my family - I told him about my sister and my brothers imminent arrival (which I have more to say about later). While he was a most charming man, the conversation had to be cut short so that I could see my sister. The conversation ended in slight awkwardness, so I think it unlikely that anything should come of the new acquaintanceship.

It is a shame to have to tell you that my brother has had to delay his visit. I received a letter from him yesterday, telling me that my father wishes him to stay in Bath for a short time. He apparently wants to introduce Jamie to a 'charming young lady' - probably chosen by my mother. However, my brother Jamie has said on many occasions that he does not intend to marry yet, unless the lady is particularly special. My only wish is for him to be happy, regardless. Jamie wrote that he would not stay in Bath long, as he already misses the fresh air, and cannot wait to see Eliza, myself and meet you. As soon as he arrives you must let me know when you are free so that I can make the introduction.

I hope that my next letter is not as late as this one.

Your friend,

Clara
Posted 2 months ago

Thank you for your letter. Your late reply is actually quite suitable as I had gone away for the weekend and could not write. I was so occupied with events around the area, I would go straight to sleep when I returned home. The night sky was absolutely beautiful this past weekend. I hope you had the opportunity to see the falling stars.

As for my reason for moving to England, I do love it here. The countryside is beautiful and peaceful. However, I also could not bear to be home around the time of the wedding of the gentleman in question and his betrothed. When my aunt sent me to Tyrehampton after my visit with her, I fell in love with the area and decided to stay. I am sorry to say that I am considered of spinster age but that gives me the opportunity to make decisions as such for myself. I want to say thank you for accepting me as I am and I wish to convey the same for you. I do my best to be kind and not judgemental of others.

The encounter with your new friend sounds interesting. Perhaps he does not make new acquaintances well. I know I can be rather timid at first when meeting new people. Nothing is more frightening than making a poor first impression. It usually takes me a long time to trust others. You are one of the rare few I have discovered a kindred spirit in right away.

I am sorry to hear about your brother's delay. I understand how much anticipation you are suffering in long for his return. However, I will be delighted to meet him whenever is convenient after his return. How does your brother feel about gaining a new sister? I don't recall you conveying his opinion. I am rather anxious to meet your family. I want to make a good impression.

I must go to sleep. It has been a long day of traveling for me and I am worried I may faint with exhaustion. Good night darling Clara. I look forward to your next letter.

With ever-growing affection,
Jayne
Posted 2 months ago
TrueWizard1507 Jayne,

Please forgive another late reply. I am finding it increasingly difficult to find time to write nowadays, as you can probably tell. School life is becoming busier with each coming day, and appears to be busy for the foreseeable future. I will always strive to reply to your lovely letters as soon as I am able.

In response to your last letter, I have always found that the countryside is most lovely all year-round. Being from Scotland, I have always been drawn to fields and villages rather than bustling towns and cities. I find the fresh air most diverting. Your reasoning for remaining in England is completely understandable, I cannot imagine how hard it would have been to see the gentleman and his new wife so soon after the wedding. I am sure you will find the perfect gentleman here in Tyrehampton - The village is not in short-supply since the start of the school term!

I realise now that I do not actually know how old you are. I am 19, and I always figured you were older than me, but surely not that much older? I find the term 'spinster' is so liberally used nowadays, it loses some it's meaning. You are certainly not a spinster in my eyes. Your age does not matter to me, I am just curious as to whether you are older than Jamie as well?

My brother's delay, I will admit, has upset me more than Eliza. I have always been closer to Jamie than my younger sister, perhaps this may explain why she seems relatively unmoved by his recent letter. Regardless, I await his arrival with baited breath. I cannot wait to introduce you to him!

Oh, and I have something I want to admit to you - I haven't actually told Jamie about you becoming our sister yet. I thought it might be better to tell him in person, plus I did not manage to add it to my last letter to him. However, in light of his recent delay, it may be better to write him a letter before his arrival. It may be a while before he arrives in Tyrehampton. At least he'll have a couple of months to become better acquainted with you before our trip to Bath, he may perhaps travel back with us as well?

I must conclude now, there is a pile of schoolwork glaring at me from across the room. I fear it may start breathing if I leave it too long!

I hope to see you around town soon.

Affectionately,

Clara
Posted 2 months ago
appl3bl0ss0m Dear Clara,

It is quite alright. I have been very busy as well. I have been enjoying the weather so. It has been a bit chilly but beautiful.

To answer your question, I am actually 26. However, I keep busy with different tasks. I am not in Tyrehampton for schooling. I completed my schooling last year. But good luck with your schooling. I do remember piles of books calling my name to get work done. You'll be quite alright.

Let me know when your brother arrives. I will make it a point to be around. I am going to visit my friends for a few weeks and assist them with some delightful little projects like sewing, which I must admit I am not very good at.

I will let you get back to your education. Write when you can dearest, but your education must come first.

With love,
Jayne
Posted 2 months ago
TrueWizard1507 Dear Jayne,

I was not aware that you were 26, but that does not mean that you can be considered of spinster age. You still have so much time left to find a husband should you wish to. Thank you for the luck with my schooling, if my studies go well this should be my final year as a student. I fear Eliza will need more luck than I.

And I must say, dear friend, that my brother has finally arrived! He arrived just yesterday, and did not write ahead as he wished to surprise Eliza and myself! I am so glad that he is here, you must let me know when you will return from visiting my friends and I will make sure he is about.

Good luck with your sewing!

With love,

Clara
Posted 2 months ago