Index > The Post Office > To Miss Halliwell from Miss Pembroke

To Miss Halliwell from Miss Pembroke

Author Post
Flore ((The letter is sent to the estate of Miss Halliwell's uncle))

Miss Halliwell,

I was delighted with the afternoon we spend together the other day and I hope we will spend many other afternoons enjoying Tyrehampton's countryside. In the meantime, I would be honoured if you would accept an invitation for tea tomorrow. My aunt is finally starting her half mourning period and I am certain she would greatly enjoy your company.

Miss Elizabeth Pembroke
48 Low Street
Tyrehampton

Posted 8 months ago
Katerina Miss Pembroke,

I hope this letter finds you well. As we have not been introduced please excuse me for this missive, but as my niece, Miss Halliwell, has returned to London this morning I thought it would only be prudent to let you know of her removal from Tyrehampton. Her parents have requested her presence in London after many long months away and she left promptly at dawn. I must say my home shall be quite quiet without her presence. In any case I shall forward on your letter to their home in Mayfair on the next post.

Sincerely,

Mrs. Grace Sokolov | Oakston
Posted 8 months ago
Flore Dear Miss Halliwell,

I hope you will forgive my boldness in writing to you at your London home. Your aunt was the one who gave me your address. I was very sorry to hear that you had to leave so suddenly but I can understand your wish to see your parents after so long away from them. I have to say that I will miss riding with you, as well as our conversations.

My aunt has finally began her half mourning period and as such, has started to socialize again a little, though only at home for the moment. We invited Dr Bolton for tea and had a very enjoyable afternoon. His brother, Mr Bolton, had also been invited of course, but it turned out the poor man was too ill to come. It seems his affliction has started not long after you had to leave Tyrehampton and Dr Bolton is really worried about him, though he would not say what Mr Bolton's illness was. Maybe he caught whatever was ailing Dr Bolton when he came here?

The whole town has been invited to see the Opera written by Mr Müller. I do not know what to think of the gentleman as my only encounter with him was rather shocking, but he is said to have quite the talent and I am looking forward to attending.

I hope you are enjoying your time with your family, as well as all the pleasures only London can provide.

Yours truly,

Elizabeth Pembroke
Posted 8 months ago
Katerina Miss Pembroke,

Please do not apologize for your boldness in writing to my residence in London. I can only imagine the trails to which Tyrehampton has left you in my absence. Especially as I greatly enjoyed our ride with Dr. Bolton; an excellent afternoon of conversation, racing and tea. And truly what a pleasure it ended up being that Mr. Bolton was unable to join us as I do believe his skill on Merlin would have ruined the whole occasion. Not to speak illy of Dr. Bolton's skill as a rider of course, but the incident was quite entertaining to be sure.

As I speak on the matter of Mr. Bolton, it gravely concerns me to hear of his illness. As I believe his pain to be most upsetting, although as his injury and resulting illness is his own doing I do not wish to worry myself on the matter completely. Especially as if it is the same illness as what Dr. Bolton previously suffered from, I quite believe Mr. Bolton to be completely at fault in his own uncomfort. But, in any case, please keep me informed on his progress if it improves or worsens. His wellbeing is of great interest to myself, him being a close acquaintance of myself.

The opera you speak of is most shocking indeed. I heard of it before my departure but Miss Porter. I believe she is to have a staring role in the production. Please keep me abreast of the occasion as well as any matters there of. As although I find myself busy with social obligations in London, I do miss certain aspects of Tyrehampton society.

With regards,

Katerina Halliwell | London, Mayfair
Posted 8 months ago
Flore Miss Halliwell,

I hope this letter finds you well and that you are making the most of your time in London. Have you had the pleasure of going to the theatre or the Opera?

I attended the representation of L'Amore Segreto, written by Baron von Müller, here in Tyrehampton. I was a little skeptical after meeting the man, but I greatly enjoyed myself and found the whole thing rather cleverly done. The surprise, however, came when Mr Müller publicly asked Miss Porter to be his wife. It was quite the evening and I am sorry you had to miss it.

I unexpectedly met with Dr Bolton in the library yesterday and he gave me news of his brother. As you seemed quite worried about Mr Bolton's well being, I am glad to be able to reassure you that he is feeling a little better. Indeed, he is in London as Dr Bolton tells me that he has received gift from a friend and left directly to meet with them and thank them in person. Maybe you will meet him in one of the many parties I am sure you will attend.

Yours truly,

Elizabeth Pembroke
Posted 8 months ago
Katerina ((Please note, this letter was written and sent a day or two before the events of The Viscount Returns))

Miss Pembroke,

A pleasure to hear from you, I do hope Tyrehampton is treating you well as it appears there have been many occurrences, by your letter, that I have missed. A public proposal for Miss Porter, how rather interesting indeed. I assume then that it was well received by Miss Porter? I am sorry that I was not able to witness the event, nor the performance before it. I have myself have scene one play at the Covent Garden Theatre, Oroonoko. Have you heard of it? An interesting play with multiple plots, but I fear it does not sound nearly as intriguing as the production you described in Tyrehampton.

Regarding Mr. Bolton, I have indeed seen him in Town and I have found that his illness is quite cured, he seems to be quite himself once more. It appears he did not have faith in his immunity to such diseases and had to be reminded of such. Thankfully I was able to assist in that regard and thus he is restored. And a gift? I do say he has not mentioned such a thing to myself in our brief interlude. That it appears to have prompted him to ride to London in his previous condition and seek out this person I am quite intrigued. As they must have given him a gift of true value, I must thank them in person as it is good to see Mr. Bolton well. Of course, as I am quite positive to whom the gift is from I do believe shall not need to go far to show my gratitude. But I shall remind Mr. Bolton of course of that individual's care is true no matter how wavering his faith was previously.

Do keep me informed on any other interesting occurrences from Tryehampton. I find I rather miss the rabble, as it were, and shall quite enjoy reading any news during my spare time.

With regards,

Katerina Halliwell | London, Mayfair
Posted 7 months ago