Index > Ongoing Stories > Mr. Sokolov and Mr. Elmsworth Logically Discuss the Peculiarities of Courtship

Mr. Sokolov and Mr. Elmsworth Logically Discuss the Peculiarities of Courtship

Author Post
Katerina ((This scene is a collaboration between the players of Mr. Earnest Ellsworth and Mr. Adrian Sokolov; it takes place in the Gentleman’s Club after “In Which Miss Nott is Unhappy, Miss Hughes is Impulsive, and Mr. Sokolov is Told Off...Twice” also in these forums.))

Earnest was three drinks in and feeling good about it. The building had a slight crowd, but he'd found a corner to take refuge in- the plush chair perfect to be settled into for at least an hour. He sat alone, but his typical sneer was nowhere in sight.

Adrian was sitting at the bar, not one to drink but rather wishing to escape his logical mind. He was two drinks in and his normally stiff posture was loose, his head did not ache and he felt impractical but for some reason that seemed to be completely practical as well.

A few of the men by the bar chortled and laughed uproariously--making the bar a perfect place to be if what you desired was lively conversation with a pack of drunks.

Adrian winces at the noise glaring at the gentlemen, grabbing his drink and on somewhat wobbly legs he escapes to the solitude of the corner chairs with his third drink. He immediately sees Mr. Elmsworth and nods his head, and then nods it again for good measure. "Mr. Elmsworth...good day sir...I would not wish to disturb but the numbskulls at the bar are quite irritating." Was that what he wished to say? It almost seemed like an improper statement, but in a minute he forgot he said it.

"Mr. Sokolov, good day to you. Sir." Earnest greets, raising his cup in cheers. "By all means, take a seat." He chuckled at the other mans joke.

He sits, closing his eyes for a moment as he enjoys the quiet of the location. Once he opens them he downs his third drink and waves a finger for another, did he wish for another....yes....that seemed logical. He looks at the other gentleman. "I trust your legal work is progressing properly? And Mrs. Elmsworth is agreeable?"

"Indeed, on all counts. Though there is talking of another young guest coming to visit," he sighed, "my house has quickly been turned into a gen house--I look forward to the birth of my son." He sipped his drink, "and you? All is well with you and yours I trust?"

His next drink arrives and he takes a small sip. "Felicitations on your expectation, sir!" Then he takes a longer sip, the discomfort of his next words present although his head still ceased to ache. "And while the departure of Miss Soko-Mrs. Dodge has left the manor empty, my mother has been most agitating."

"Many thanks." He responds, raising his glass before downing the contents. "An empty house apparently has that effect on older women." He chuckled at his own joke, "But my sympathies--can't be easy to get work done in such a scenario."

Adrian nods emphatically, any hint of his stiff demeanor gone. "Precisely! I have been forced to resort to attending the public Library in Tyrehampton which is almost as disagreeable or Lord Fillintheblank's.....which presents its own problems to be sure."

"I myself am a regular frequenter of Lord Fillintheblanks, and I have found his collection to be more than adequate. What problems have you found?"

Adrian seems to sink into the chair. "It is not the collection that is the issue, but the odd emotions one gets when a particular woman arrives to said Library."

Earnest raises his brows. "I see...my sympathies."

"Her nearness causes megrims." Mr. Sokolov says begrudgingly.

"Is the lady aware of how her presence displeases you?"

"It is not that she displeases me....rather the displeasure is from my own impractical feelings that come when she is near. I say sir I have kissed her hand in a fit of illogical and impractical /emotion/!” He declares, taking a long sip of his drink.

He chuckled, and nodded in understanding. "And the lady....how did she respond to such a gesture of emotion?"

"She seemed agreeable to the attention and did not pull away from my grasp as she should. I find the complete notion of these new emotional and primal responses to be unpleasant." He huffs.

He gazed upwards, "You get used to them. And they don't interfere with your work nearly as you might expect. So long as you have sufficient willpower." he advised.

"If I resist the urge fully then I am prone to megrims which thus add to the woman's attentions." He nods. "I have believe that once we are engaged I need not prevent such instincts and thus the focus needed to return to my work shall return. I trust this was the same conclusion during your courtship with Mrs. Elmsworth?"

"Indeed."

"I am glad to hear of it. It is a relief to know that once one is married that one's studious existence shall continue." He finishes his third drink. "I had originally thought to take her as a wife for her knowledge in language, history and philosophy. She is quite intellectual, I believed she would do as an assistant or as a secretary for my work."

"Be careful not to overburden your new bride, once the marriage has taken place. Particularly if your estate is very large." He was fortunate that his own father was still living, Grizella was to have a slow introduction to the proper runnings of Goodhill.

He groans. "I am a second son to a second son with a future in scholarly interests. I see no need for a large estate to continue my research and thus my....my bride need not be overwhelmed."

He gave a quick nod, "In which case the workload sounds suitable."

"I thought the same." He sighs. "In addition to the matter of distraction, what did you find suitable to assist you through the process of courting?"

He took a moment to consider his reply, "A multitude of things. Mrs. Elmsworth was friends with my sister prior to our engagement, and her staying at the ladies school made access to a prolonged acquaintanceship simpler."

He takes a sip of a subservient drink that had suddenly appeared in his hand. "I fear my mother and her aunt are close acquaintances....making the matter difficult. And the lady appears at the most inopportune instances....I become quite ill prepared for any onslaught of emotion or conversation. To which in the last she argued the relevance of poetry and music beyond it being a woman's enjoyment."

"Does your mother disapprove of you making a match? What is the Lady's situation?" Second sons typically had the burden of fortune hunting. "And such arguments are natural for a woman. No one likes to think that their pursuits have no meaning or worth, even should that be the case."

"My mother is....enthusiastic." He takes another long sip, sinking into his chair further. "I know very little about her family. Logically I should search for wealth but I find I only wish for logical and intellect...to which I have found....en mass....just very little about subjects to which I find practical."(edited)

"Your female family members are a boon. Instruct your mother to invite the girl to tea. It will give you greater opportunity to meet and be met." He advised, understanding the importance of propriety. "You will need to instruct her on her responsibilities should you wed. If what you desire is a secretary, she need not concern herself with the idleness of embroidery and the like."

He seems to sink further in his seat, or perhaps that was just because he was turning from a solid into a liquid...which he found most perplexing. "I met her at a tea with myself, my mother and her aunt....also /enthusiastic/. I could attend tea with her once more...although my mother would make the experience most upsetting for myself and the lady. I believe the only fit course is to ride to her family seat and begin engagement contracts."

"Who is the lady?" He considered for a moment, "I will have my wife host a dinner. Surely there could be no harm if both parties were...present. My wife is an astute judge of character. I have little doubt that your choice of bride will have made her way into her good graces."

He looks up. "An interesting hypothesis, I would be honored to attend. The lady in question is Miss Hughes."

He gives a stiff nod. "I will instruct Mrs. Elmsworth on the matter."

"I will be most grateful." He lifts his glass to the gentleman.

He raises his own glass in turn, downing the lot.

Adrian downs his and blinks a few times. "You...you are quite the gentleman Mr. Elmsworth....a truly....truly wogical gentleman." He tried to say 'logical' a few more times but it did not sound right.

"Yes....as are you, Mr. Solokov."

_______

((The following morning))

Adrian Sokolov awoke in the Library of his family home, his head pounding harder than usual, so hard in fact that his entire body ached in rhythm. He knew logically that he was in the Library because his heightened senses caught the scent of leather and paper, a normally calming odor that this morning....no...afternoon by the light shining through the windows.....was nauseating. He tried to move, it appeared that he was in one of the large armchairs that he never used to its impracticalness in proper study. This was most odd and it took a few more moments for him to remember small bits and pieces from the previous afternoon. Including of course his impractical and improper confession to Mr. Elmsworth regarding Miss Hughes. And then he remembered the kiss, her lips brushing across his skin....and in an instant his temples shot with pain in remembrance of the anxiety he felt. And Mr. Elmsworth's offer of a dinner so that he and Miss Hughes could converse in a proper setting....it was too much, the anxiety was too much, the pain was too much....why had he drunk so much, why had he even gone to the Club to begin with, it was a most impractical and illogical course of action for himself. However much he was thinking illogically after the events in the parlor. He did owe Mr. Elmsworth a debt of gratitude for listening to his drunken drivel. But he could not think further about that at the current moment, not with the pain. He closed his eyes, wondering if perhaps it would be logical to not move for a long period of time....but before his thought was complete, he was once more asleep.
Posted 3 weeks ago